Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS)
In order to fill the talent shortage in Hong Kong and to nurture local talents, the Innovation and Technology Bureau of Hong Kong launched the Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS). TechTAS provides a fast-track arrangement for eligible companies/organizations to admit overseas and Mainland China talents. Under TechTAS, the applicant technology companies/institutes are not required to demonstrate the talent shortage in each case. As a result, the actual admission procedure will be streamlined and the duration of employment visa application will be shortened.
The applicant company/institute:
A tenant/incubatee of the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTPC) or Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited (Cyberport) engaged in the area of biotechnology, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, robotics, data analytics, financial technologies or material science is eligible to submit the quota application under TechTAS.
The non-local technology talent:
- must be employed as a full-time employee in Hong Kong by the applicant company/institute;
- must be engaged principally in conducting R&D in the area of biotechnology, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, robotics, data analytics, financial technologies or material science;
- must be a degree-holder in STEM subjects from a well-recognised university (Work experience is not required for those holding a Master's or Doctoral degree, whereas a minimum of one year of work experience in relevant technology areas is required for those holding a Bachelor's degree only) ;
- must be offered a remuneration similar to the prevailing market rates for the comparable jobs in Hong Kong.
An admission quota of not more than 100 persons per year will be given to each successful applicant company/institute.
The local talent employment requirement under TechTAS
The applicant company/institute has to comply with the local talent employment requirement i.e. the applicant company/institute shall need to employ one new local full-time employee plus two local interns for every three non-local persons approved to be admitted under TechTAS.
- An eligible technology company/institute applies for a quota (apply through HKSTPC or Cyberport)
- The quota is allotted
- The eligible technology company/institute uses the quota
- An employment visa has to be applied for the eligible person (application to be submitted to Immigration Department)
- The employment visa is approved
Limit of Stay
It will normally be granted an initial stay of 36 months if first entry in Hong Kong, or in accordance with the duration of the employment contract, whichever is shorter. They may apply for extension of stay in the HKSAR within four weeks before their limit of stay expires. Successful applicants will normally be permitted to remain in Hong Kong on time limitation on 3-2 years pattern, or in accordance with the duration of the employment contract, whichever is shorter.
Entry of Dependants
The person admitted under the TechTAS may apply to bring in his/her spouse and unmarried dependent children under the age of 18 to Hong Kong under the prevailing dependant policy.
Should you have any enquires about Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS), please complete the form below and we will reply to you soon.
- Top Talent Pass Scheme (TTPS)
- Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS)
- Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP)
- Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG)
- General Employment Scheme (GES)
- Admission Scheme for the Second Generation of Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents (ASSG)
- Entry of Dependants