Value Added Tax
Value added tax is a kind of turnover tax imposed on the newly-increased value; that is, the additional value of goods in various links from commodity production to circulation. All corporations and persons engaged in the sales or importation of goods, provision of processing, repairs and replacement services within the territory of the People's Republic of China are taxpayers of Value Added Tax (hereinafter referred to as "taxpayers").
Scope of Charge
- The sales of goods
- The provision of processing, repairs and replacement
- The importation of goods
Basis of Assessment
It is based on the sales amount; that is, all money received from purchasers by taxpayers selling the goods or providing the taxable services.
Value added tax payers comprise general taxpayers and small-scale taxpayers
- The VAT rate is 6%, 9%, 13% for general taxpayers
- The VAT rate is 3% for small-scale
Computation of Tax Payable
- Tax Payable by General Taxpayers=Tax Payable on Sales in Current Period － Tax Payable on Purchase in Current Period, where
- Tax Payable on Sales means the VAT computed received from the purchasers by the taxpayers selling goods or providing taxable services according to stipulated VAT rate
- Tax Payable on Purchase means the VAT paid by the taxpayers purchasing goods or accepting taxable services, which in comparison with the foregoing Tax Payable on Sales received by the sellers, is paid by the purchasers.
- Tax Payable by Small-scale Taxpayers = Tax-including Sales Amount ÷ (1＋Tax Rate）× Tax Rate
- Tax Payable by Taxpayers Exporting Goods = (Dutiable Value ＋Tariff＋Excise Tax) × Tax Rate
Intermediate Links of Taxation
- Sales link
- Processing link
- Import link
- Productive enterprises and foreign-trade enterprises empowered to manage exportation are entitled to free export and refund on their value added taxes
- Small-scale taxpayers are entitled to free export but no refunds
- Taxpayers exporting goods restricted by the Country are not entitled to free exports or refunds
The assessable period for tax payment is usually one month or one quarter. The specific period shall be determined by the competent tax authority according to the amount of tax payable.
Export tax rebates
General taxpayers who have obtained the right of import and export may enjoy export tax rebates if they export the duty-free goods or the goods under export restriction and prohibition as specified in the tax law. Small-scale taxpayers are not entitled to export tax rebates.
- If the total monthly sales amount of a small-scale taxpayer does not exceed 100,000 yuan (for small-scale taxpayers whose assessable period is one quarter, if the quarterly sales amount does not exceed 300,000 yuan, the same below), or if the total monthly sales amount is less than 100,000 yuan after deducting the sales amount of real estate occurring in the current period, the VAT shall be exempted.
- Where a general VAT payer sells the integrated circuits or software products produced by itself, the policy of tax refund upon collection applies to the part exceeding 3% of actual tax burden.
- Agricultural products, grain and oil, coal gas and chemical fertilizers shall be taxed at the rate of 10%.
Should you have any enquires about Value Added Tax, please complete the form below and we will reply to you soon.