Hong Kong Profits Tax,Tax Advisory - Conpak CPA Limited

Profits Tax

Profits Tax

Under the "Inland Revenue Ordinance" from Inland Revenue Department (IRD), profits taxpayers mean persons, including corporations, partnerships, trustees and bodies of persons that profit from carrying on trade, profession or business in Hong Kong.

Scope of Charge

Profits arising in or derived in Hong Kong from operating any business or service are subject to tax (except profits arising from or losses incurred by the sale of capital assets). In contrast, no tax is levied on profits arising abroad, even if they are remitted to Hong Kong. Whether business is operated in Hong Kong and whether profits are derived from Hong Kong are mainly determined by operating facts.

If a person sells his/her building or any property as part of a scheme of profit-making, it will be regarded as a "business" and he/she is required to pay tax on any profit he/she may make.

Profits Tax Rate

Type of Company Profits of the First HK$ 2 million Profits above the amount (HK$ 2 million)
Limited company 8.25% 16.5%
Company in Sole Proprietorship or Partnership 7.5% 15%

Basic Period

The financial year generally ends on 31 March or 31 December of each year, with a 12-month accounting period. However, the first accounting period for a newly set up company cannot exceed 18 months.


Note: * The tax measures proposed in the 2024-25 Budget are subject to the enactment of relevant legislation.


All expenses incurred by the taxpayer in the production of chargeable profits, to the extent that they are related to the operation, deductions which include:

  • Loan interests
  • Rent
  • Bad debts and bad loans
  • Repair fee or repair charge
  • Research and development expenditure
  • Registration fee for royalty, design and patent
  • Purchase expenditures on royalty, design and patent used in Hong Kong
  • Education expenditures pursuant to the business paid to the accreditation bodies
  • Charitable donation in conformity with provisions
  • The contribution of the employer in the beginning of the recognized occupational retirement schemes or special contribution may be deducted in five years, and the upper deduction limit of each year's defined contribution is 15% of the employee's annual salary.
  • As for sole proprietors or partners of a partnership, the upper limit of deduction from mandatory contribution paid in as self-employed persons is 18,000 HKD per person in accordance with the legal liability stated in the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance.

In calculating the profits, deduction is specifically prohibited with respect to the following:

  • Family or private expenses and any other expenses not intended for assessable profits
  • Investments for improvement and any expenses of capital in nature
  • Recoverable expenses according to an insurance plan or contract of indemnity
  • Rent and related expenses arising from building occupation, not for the purpose of assessable profits
  • Various kinds of taxes paid in according to Inland Revenue Ordinance (except for salaries tax arising in paying salaries to employees or board directors)
  • Salaries, capital interests and loan interests paid to the sole proprietor or his/her spouse and the partner of a partnership or his/her spouse
  • Contribution or provision as per unrecognized occupational retirement schemes

Provisional Profits Tax Payment

Before a given tax year ends, the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) will impose provisional profits tax on enterprises according to the tax payment assessed in the previous year. In the succeeding year, when the tax payment for the related year is appraised, the provisional tax paid will be used to pay the profits tax payable in that year.

Tax Preferences

Should you have any enquires about Profits Tax, please complete the form below and we will reply to you soon.

Please fill in the following form, our professionals will reply to you after receiving your enquiry.
* Required field

Mr.     Miss     Ms.
Ms. Josephine Chan
+852 2666 2827
Ms. Eunice Cheung
+852 2666 2830
Ms. Helen Hu
+86 10 5659 1199
Ms. Annie An
+86 21 5389 6661
Ms. Helen Hu
+86 755 8828 8711
Ms. Lucy Yang
+86 755 8828 8768
Ms. Joann Ma
+65 6966 2200
HK Salaries Tax
HK Salaries Tax

Conpak Service Brochure

Conpak Service Brochure

Read More

  • Professional Qualifications

    Hong Kong Practicing CPA Firm

    Hong Kong Practicing CPA Firm

  • Certified Member

    Member of HKTDC Advisory Committees

    Member of HKTDC Advisory Committees

  • Corporate Social Responsibilities

    CSR Award

    CSR Award

  • Training and Development Achievement

    manpower developer

    Manpower Developer Award

Contact Us

Loading... loading
Loading... loading