General Employment Scheme (GES)
Foreign nationals who possesses special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong and is not a non-local graduate may apply to come to work in Hong Kong under the scheme.
- Foreign nationals, EXCEPT: Nationals of Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of), Nepal and Vietnam
- The applicant has no criminal record
- The applicant has a good education background or possesses relevant technical qualifications and experience
- There is a genuine job vacancy
- The applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force
- The remuneration package is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in Hong Kong
- Overseas Chinese nationals holding People’s Republic of China (PRC) passports must have permanent residence overseas; or have resided overseas for at least one year before the submission of applications
Documents to be Submitted by the Applicants
- An application form
- The applicant’s recent photograph
- Photocopy of travel document
- Photocopy of the identity card
- Photocopies of proof of academic qualifications and relevant experience
- Photocopy of proof of overseas residence (for overseas Chinese nationals holding PRC passports only)
Documents to be Submitted by the Employers
- An application form
- A photocopy of the employment contract containing information about post, salaries, other fringe benefits and employment periods etc.
- A photocopy of the Business Registration Certificate
- Photocopies of proof of financial standing of the company (e.g. latest audited financial report, profit and loss account and tax return, etc.)
- The company profile (e.g. business activities, mode of operation, products and markets, etc.)
- A detailed business plan (for a company newly set-up within 1 year only)
Limit of Stay
- Successful applicants will normally be permitted to remain in Hong Kong on time limitation on 2-2-3 years pattern
- Applicants shall apply for extension of stay to continue to work in Hong Kong within 4 weeks before their limit of stay expires
Change of Employment
- Persons who have been admitted to work in Hong Kong under the scheme may apply for change of employment after arrival.
- The applicant shall continue to fulfill the aforesaid “eligibility criteria” and is employed in a job relevant to his/her qualification and expertise.